Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I Corinthians 13

I Corinthians 13 is a great place to start when wanting to learn about love. I Corin. 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."

According to Strong's, this "charity" is: Agape - affection, good will, love, benevolence, brotherly love.

This first lesson love for me will begin with a study of sorts starting this verse and this definition.

Love is affection, good will, benevolence, brotherly love.

Affection --According to Webster's 1828 Dictionary there are numerous meanings for affection. I feel this one best describes the affection here. "4. In a more particular sense, a settle good will, love or zealous attachment; as, the affection of a parent for his child."
-A settle good will, love or zealous attachement.

Good Will --According to Webester's is "Benevolence".

Benevolence --"1. The disposition to do good; good will; kindness; charitableness; the love,of mankind, accompanied with a desire to promote their happiness."

So my first lesson in love is: good will, zealous attachment, to do good, kindness, charitableness, desire to promote their happiness. Hmm, sounds like putting people first and thinking about them above myself. I will think on and put into practice these things until my next post.

Good will, do good, be kind, be charitable, promote their happiness.

No comments: